NAMI California is now accepting registration applications for CALMHSA scholarship recipients.
- Training Method: Online only, using Zoom
- Training Modality: Cohort style (60 individuals)
- Training Length: 13 days or 2.5 weeks
- Training Hours: 4:30 PM – 8:30 PM
- Training Days: Monday – Friday
- Cohort 6: March 27, 2023 – April 12, 2023
- Cohort 7: April 24, 2023 – May 11, 2023 [No class March 5, Cinco de Mayo]
- Cohort 8: May 31, 2023 – June 16, 2023
- Cohort 9: June 26, 2023 – July 13, 2023 [No class July 4th, Independence day]
- Cohort 10: July 24, 2023 – August 9, 2023
- Cohort 11: September 11, 2023 – September 27, 2023
- Cohort 12: October 4, 2023 – October 20, 2023
- Cohort 13: November 1, 2023 – November 20, 2023 [No class November 10, Veterans day]
Cohort Registration Dates (for CalMHSA Scholarship Recipients Only):
- Cohort 7: 3/30/2023 – 4/21/2023
- Cohort 8: 3/20/2023 – 5/26/2023
- Cohort 9: 3/20/2023 – 6/23/2023
- Cohort 10: 3/20/2023 – 7/21/2023
- Cohort 11: 3/20/2023 – 9/8/2023
- Cohort 12: 3/20/2023 – 9/29/2023
- Cohort 13: 3/20/2023 – 10/27/2023
Please read below for more information about the training, training programs, and requirements.
About the Training:
The NAMI CA Medi-cal Peer Support Specialist Certification Training Webinar, approved by CALMHSA, is devoted to providing individuals peer to peer education and support to those who self-identify as having experience with the process of recovery from a mental illness or substance use disorder, either as a consumer of these services or as the parent, caregiver, or family member of a consumer with a mental health condition. This serves as a pathway to employment/volunteer positions within the public mental health system, after subsequently taking and passing the Medi-cal Peer Support Specialist Certification exam.
Participants learn behavioral health skills covering the 17 Peer Specialist core competencies as identified by the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS). Topics covered include the recovery model, communication skills, trauma-Informed care, cultural competency, Medi-cal code of ethics and more. Those who complete the 80-hour training will receive a certificate of completion that will be submitted in their application to sit for the Medi-cal Peer Support Specialist Certification Exam.
Who is Eligible?
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent degree.
- Be self-identified as having experience with the process of recovery from a mental illness or substance use disorder, either as a consumer of these services or as the parent, caregiver or family member of a consumer.
- Be willing to share their experience.
- Have a strong dedication to recovery.
- Agree, in writing, to adhere to the Code of Ethics.
- Successfully complete the training requirements for the Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialist Certification
- Have access and ability to utilize computer, laptop, and internet connection.
- Must be able to commit and actively participate in the entire 80 hour live online training sessions.
Programs Available for Training
CalMHSA Scholarship Program, (California Mental Health Services Authority)
Through the CalMHSA Scholarship Program, you can take the Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialist Certification Training with NAMI California. Once you have completed training and received your certificate of completion, you will be able to upload your certificate to the CalMHSA certification application and register for the certification exam. If you have a CalMHSA-approved scholarship, and a unique scholarship ID number provided by CalMHSA, please fill out the registration form below by clicking on the button*.
*Only register if you have a scholarship through CalMHSA.
HCAI Peer Training and Placement Program, (Health Care Access and Information)
Through the HCAI Peer Training and Placement Program, you can take the Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialist Certification Training with NAMI California. Once you have completed training and received your certificate of completion, you will be provided with career counseling and job placement support, either as a volunteer or as an employee with a paid position, within your local Public Mental Health System. NAMI California is working in partnership with 5 local affiliates to provide these services.
If you are interested in the HCAI Peer Training and Placement Program, please contact the NAMI Affiliate that is overseeing your county to begin the enrollment process.
|Lead NAMI Affiliate||NAMI San Joaquin||NAMI Contra Costa||NAMI Mt. San Jacinto||NAMI Greater Los Angeles||NAMI San Diego|
|Region||Central & Superior Region||Bay Area & Superior Region||Southern Region||Southern Region||Southern Region|
|County||Central: Alpine, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Fresno, Inyo, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Mono, Placer, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Sutter-Yuba (Joint Powers), Tulare, Tuolumne, and Yolo
Superior: Nevada, Sierra, Plumas, Lassen, Modoc, Butte, Tehama, Shasta
|Central: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Monterey, Napa, San Benito, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, and Sonoma, and City of Berkeley
Superior: Colusa, Del Norte, Glenn, Humboldt, Lake, Mendocino, Siskiyou, and Trinity
|Kern, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura, and Tri-City (Pomona, Claremont, La Verne)||County of Los Angeles||San Diego & Imperial Counties|
Affiliate Contact Information:
NAMI San Diego & Imperial Counties
Official Contact: Ingrid Alvarez-Ron
- Email: PeerTraining@namisd.org
- Phone Number: (858) 225 – 3251 ext. 819
- Website: https://namisandiego.org/pssc/
NAMI Contra Costa
Official Contact: Philip H Arnold Jr
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone Number: (925) 202 – 4349
- Website: https://www.namicontracosta.org/
NAMI Mt. San Jacinto
Official Contact: Brenda Scott
- Email: Brenda.email@example.com
- Phone Number: (951) 765-1850
- Website: namimtsanjacinto.org
NAMI San Joaquin
Official Contact: Mary Fields
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone Number: (916) 595 – 3881
NAMI Greater Los Angeles
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 310-308-5360
- Peer Workforce Manager: Rebecca Kim
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have any questions regarding the CalMHSA Scholarship Program, please contact Rebecca Kim by email.
- Community Engagement Program Coordinator: Cithlaly Lopez
- Email: email@example.com
- If you have any questions regarding the HCAI Peer Training and Placement Program, please contact Cithlaly Lopez by email.
- Community Engagement Team: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you do not have a CalMHSA scholarship and could not get into the HCAI Peer Training and Placement Program due to limited availability, please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Vice President of Programs: Tory Martinez
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org