What is NAMI Peer-to-Peer?
- NAMI Peer-to-Peer is an 8-session recovery-focused course for adults with mental health conditions.
- The program is held weekly for two hours and is led by peers with mental health conditions
- Information is included on conditions such as major depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, and borderline personality disorder, among others
- Participants leave NAMI Peer-to-Peer with a customized relapse prevention plan and a form they can use to create their own Advance Directive for Mental Healthcare Decision Making
- Discussion and interactive exercises focus on mindfulness and meditation, relapse prevention, and healthy coping skills to help cope with life’s challenges
- Classes are free and confidential
- Classes are open to any adult living with a mental illness
What does Peer-to-Peer include?
- Current information about the major mental illnesses and the most current research available on the biological aspects of these illnesses
- Information on recovery, including a variety of treatment strategies currently available
- Skills training in the areas of problem solving, listening, communication techniques and handling crisis and relapse
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community and offer tips of advocating for those supports and services
- Promotes stigma reduction through education and personal contact with individuals with a mental illness
“NAMI Peer-to-Peer is uplifting, life-saving and an eye-opening experience that changed how I see myself.”
“The biggest thing I gained from this class was to become my own advocate and best friend.”
“Seeing my peers’ strength and dedication to their recovery was personally meaningful.”
Find a Peer-to-Peer Class
Connect with your local NAMI California affiliate to find out about upcoming Peer-to-Peer classes